Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Daughter Part #3

Hello again!
     Happy March! I'm so excited to share this part of the story with you today because it reminds me of what we celebrate this weekend!


     When Jesus finally arrives at Jairus' house he finds a crowd of people weeping. They've given up hope for their precious twelve-year-old girl. She's dead but Jesus tells them that she's only asleep. They laugh at Him. He makes everyone stay outside. Then enters the house with her parents and a few of His disciples. He walks over to her bed, takes her hand and says, "little girl, I say to you, arise" (ESV). Then, the dead girl stands up and starts walking!
   Everyone is "overcome with amazement." but Jesus tells them not to tell anyone about it and goes home.


     There is so much to wonder at in this story. I didn't realize until now how little of it I saved for this last post, but I'm glad this was it because it's so profound. 

     I think in this season of my life I relate more to the people crying outside than anyone else in the story. When they laugh at Jesus' statement that she isn't truly dead, they remind me of myself.  When I've finally given up on a dream that seems impossible, however big or small it may be, and I seem to hear God hinting that hope is not truly lost, my tears turn to bitter laughter. Really? I ask, you're going to taunt me with that again? But then He comes through, raising my dream from the dead and I struggle to appreciate the gift because I am so ashamed of my lack of trust. But then He reminds me of His forgiveness and we carry on, with one more memory of His faithfulness and power. And the next time hope seems lost and the promise seems impossible, I hope I remember the little girl who was only sleeping, and chose to trust.

-L

No comments:

Post a Comment