Pages

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Like Christ


     When girls think of someone as husband material we tend to (consciously or subconsciously) compare him to our dad's. When a girl doesn't have a good dad to compare a guy to (or to scare off the bad ones) she's more likely to end up in a relationship she will regret. I started to wonder how this was going to effect  me. How was I supposed to know what to look for in a guy without my dad around to set the example?

     As I had been wondering about this I read a passage in the Bible and it hit me how God fills that role better than any father. 

     Ephesians 5:25 (ESV) says that husbands are to "love your wives as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her." And later on in the same passage it says that husbands are to care for their wives as they care for themselves. So there's my answer. The model for the right guy isn't supposed to be a human father but rather Jesus the "...image of the invisible God." (Colossians 1:15 ESV) 

     In Jesus we see what God looks like, and in Him we find unconditionally sacrificial love. That's the example of what a husband should be. So that's what I'm waiting for. A man who loves me like Jesus does. I know that's a high standard and I'm not expecting perfection, but that should be the goal.

    I'd still appreciate a guy who's repentant, smart,creative and funny like my dad. But ultimately, I'm looking for a dude who loves me sacrificially and unconditionally, like Jesus.

Happy February,
-L.

No comments:

Post a Comment